Aug 23, 2013

I made strange jam

I attempted to make some Strawberry Jam today. It was my first time at it, but I had high hopes. What a way to ruin 1.5kg of beautiful strawberries, four lemons and six ball jar lids.


I was following the Australian Woman's Weekly recipe (1.5kg fruit, 1.1kg sugar and 1 cup lemon juice), but I cooked it too long - just trying overly hard to get it to set on that darn frozen plate. It's not burnt, but it's not the Bonne Maman Strawberry Conserve I had in my preserving dreams.


It looks nice, but it is way too lemony and thick. I love lemon, but somehow it's just too much and you can't taste the lovely strawberries. I even water bath processed them, so they'll last a whole year on the shelf.


I want to try again, but what do you do with six half pints of strange jam?

I'm thinking lots of jam drop biscuits.

1 comment:

  1. oh no! I have no idea what to do. I have never tried any thing as ambitious as making jam! Cookies make everything better though, so you are on to something there.

    ReplyDelete