Mar 24, 2013

Quilting on my Vintage Singer

My beautiful Singer 201 has been out this week doing some beautiful stitching on my latest quilt for the shop.


Here's the final product:


I never thought about using the Singer for straight line quilting, until I saw how expensive new sewing machines with a long throat are - many thousands of dollars....sigh, and she was just sitting there looking pretty with her 8.5 inch throat space and all I needed was a walking foot for even feeding of fabric.  I knew I could buy one pretty cheaply overseas, but then I didn't want to wait for it.  I tried my local sewing shop (which is a Janome shop) and they had one that would work.  It almost cost as much as the machine itself (a bit sad really), and it worked beautifully until it broke halfway through the quilt.  Darn plastic parts!  One good thing about buying it locally was I was able to return it and get a new one! Can't do that easily with overseas purchases.  Totally justified my 'have to have it right now' and 'can't wait for shipping' attitude and its overpriced-ness in the end.


So there, if you have a vintage machine, take advantage of its large sewing area for your larger quilts and save a lot of money by doing it.  I did have a few tension issues at first, but it was just the needle size being too small in the end.  I do have to say that it does not feed the fabric as well as a modern machine (with its wider feed dogs 7mm instead of 5mm) but the stitch quality more than makes up for it.  I just hope I don't break the new foot... maybe I should order a backup anyway.

Mar 6, 2013

Busy, Busy

Wow,  it's quilt land over here at the moment. With a custom order (my first!!) nearly done and a few new ones complete, I feel almost quilted out.


The London Buses custom cot sized quilt.


A new bassinet sized Little Red Riding Hood, and Cot sized Rainy Day Blue Triangles.


There's even a new one that was quilted this afternoon. Recognise the fabric from this post?  It's no longer going to be bed sized. After a bit of thought, I figured it would look much better in a little (or big) girls room with all that pink. I think I might stick with more neutral colours for my bed in the future, my husband will probably agree.  

So, instead of the queen size, it has been sewn into three large throw sized quilt tops and the first is almost complete - it just needs the binding. This one has been stippled, so it should crinkle up nicely. I might do different quilting for each of the quilts to keep them even more unique.


The new quilts will be in the shop over the weekend hopefully!

I think it's time to give the sewing machine a little rest for a while. I might get some cool weather sewing for the boys organised. There is the giant roll of blue and white polka dot flannel waiting to be used, and a heap of tracksuit fabric sitting in a plastic tub. I just need a little inspiration.